Total Pageviews

VISITORS MAP

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

NEWS - REFASHIONED HOOP EARRINGS W/ CROCHET

Refashioned Hoop Earrings with Crochet

I was weeding through my costume jewelry and came across several pairs of hoop earrings in different sizes. Most of them had their “gold” or “silver” rubbed off. I thought it would be great to see if I could recycle them with a new look. I came across this tutorial on Crochet Pattern Central- Simply Hoops I changed it up a bit (see pic of purple hoops). I found the earring in the last photo and used it as inspiration for the white and brown earrings. I like mine better.

Simply Hoops Pattern

There are 4 variations for these. This pattern works best if you crochet not too loosely. I used a size 9 steel hook for these earrings because I tend to crochet loosely. You may use whatever size hook that is comfortable for you. You only need a small amount of thread for these projects. This is a nice project to use some leftover threads. :-)
Materials:
small amount of size 8 or 10 100% cotton thread in preferred color
steel hook
seed beads sizes 8 and 11 to match thread
clear nail polish
silver or gold hoop earrings ( you can use whatever size you have available)
Photobucket
Photobucket
 Basic Pattern without beads: (Variegated)
Row 1 - Sc around to cover hoop. Leave a little space before starting sc and a little space after. (See picture) Turn
Row 2 - chain 1. 3 sc in next 3 st., 4 hdc in next 4 st. Dc in next succeeding st. until 7 remaing unworked stitches are left. 4 hdc in next 4 st., 3 sc in next 3 st. Fasten off. Weave ends. Dab a bit of clear nail polish on both ends of earrings to prevent work from slipping.


Pattern 2: (Orange)
String on adequate amount of size 8 seed beads before starting.
Row 1 - Follow Row 1 of basic pattern.
Row 2 - Sc with bead in all of previous sc's. Fasten off. Dab a bit of clear nail polish on both ends of earrings to prevent work from slipping.
Pattern 3 (Lavender)
String on adequate amount of size 11 seed beads before starting.
Row 1 - Follow Row 1 of basic pattern.
Row 2 - Hdc with bead in all of previous sc's. Fasten off. Dab a bit of clear nail polish on both ends to prevent work from slipping.


This one makes a "fuller" style of earrings.......you will need more seed beads for these. For my earrings, I strung about a foot long of size 8 seed beads. I used white hoop earrings since I wanted a thicker base for this.
Photobucket
Row 1 - Follow Row 1 of basic pattern.
Row 2 - Chain 3 with seed beads. Sc in next st. Do this until all previous stitches are covered. Fasten off. Weave ends.
I did not put nail polish on these anymore because the metal part of the earrings prevented the crocheted piece from slipping over.
Crafter (the home of the craftiest people on earth!) has some great stuff also Lacey Hoops


 Photobucket


Hippy Hoops.


 Photobucket


Photobucket


Check this out.


 Photobucket


Photobucket


You could spray paint your old hoops ANY color and show them off with some spider web crochet. I think this is next for me.
The hoops with the type of closure I used didn’t need any glue to keep the stitches from sliding off of the hoops. If you have the type of hoops that are depicted in the Simply Hoops link, you would be wise to add a drop of glue or clear nail polish as she advises. With a little bit of left over crochet tread or purl cotton, some hold hoops and left over beads you can have “new” one of a kind earrings!
Please keep in mind that I am not a pattern writer. I kept track of my steps and noted them as follows. Please use the free pattern instuctions for your crochet hoop earrings if you like and let me know if you have any questions or found any mistakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment